Monday, February 7, 2011

Visual Pollution Causes Retinal Warming

A 2004 article at Artopia giving an overview of a New Museum retrospective of East Village art shows no love for David Wojnarowicz's visual work or graffiti in general.

In case you are wondering, I always hated graffiti art and still do. I am not against art-in-the-streets per se. I really can't be, since I sometimes still do Street Works myself. But graffiti always struck me as dumb, visual pollution, and moving it indoors, in most cases, only made it worse. I can get behind signatures as paintings since, satirically, paintings are signatures, but I don't think that's what the artists had in mind. Any art promoted by Norman Mailer (and many years before the Fun Gallery) can't be good.

~~~
found via googling: '"crazy like a" wojnarowicz' inspired by this 1958 Time article about John Fox which details media manipulation of a US Senate race.

His story now is that after discussions with others, including Neanderthal Republican Publisher Basil Brewer of New Bedford, Mass., he decided that Cabot Lodge was "soft on Communism" and that therefore he decided to move over and back Democratic Candidate John Kennedy. The day the Post's Kennedy-for-Senator editorial appeared, by Fox's account, Fox talked to Joseph Patrick Kennedy, multimillionaire father of the candidate, who agreed to lend Fox a cool $500,000—and later achieved the feat of getting it back. John Kennedy won the Senate by a slim 70,000 votes, and Fox still claims credit for his election.

No comments:

Post a Comment