Thursday, December 23, 2010

David Wojnarowicz in the Media / 20 Years Ago This Month

From The New York Times /

Art View: An Artist Who Seeks Every Opportunity to Unnerve
By Michael Kimmerman / Published Dec 9, 1990

Same as it ever was.
"It took a misstep by the National Endowment for the Arts to put his name on lips across the country."
I'm not sure i'm fan enough to get THAT tattoo.

Quoting the quote of the text, I am.
"The notion of death is linked most poignantly by Mr. Wojnarowicz with the theme of escape, as in one of the texts he has stenciled onto a recent painting: "I wished for years and years that I could separate into 10 different people," he writes. "Ten versions of myself in order to give each person I loved a part of myself forever, and also have some left over to drift across the landscapes and maybe even to go into death or areas which were dangerous, and have enough of me to survive the deaths of one or two or three of me. This is what I thought was appropriate for all of my desires and I never figured out how to manage it all and now I'm in danger of losing the only one of me that is around."

Found via google news archive search

No comments:

Post a Comment